P: (270) 527-9969
F: (270) 527-0506
The Bookmobile is a unique location of the library, in that it brings library materials to people. It serves as an alternative to stationary locations, and can go places where library use may otherwise be minimal or nonexistent, breaking down barriers of unfamiliarity and reaching people who cannot get to a library building due to physical, economic, social, geographic, or other barriers. In fulfilling this mission, the primary functions of the bookmobile are to:
- Offer current popular materials and reference information for people of all ages
- Promote basic literacy and a lifelong desire to read
- Present programs to encourage continued use of the bookmobile, particularly for children
- Introduce readers to library services
- Provide personalized library service in a cozy, friendly environment
- Generate a positive image of the library as a whole by being highly visible throughout the entire community
- All patrons at community stops are required to be a registered user in good standing.
- Should weather conditions or mechanical failure force cancellation of any stops, all material will be due the next regularly scheduled trip.
- If schools are cancelled due to bad weather, the Bookmobile stops are automatically cancelled. Other weather issues may cause the library to close early or the Bookmobile to not run. The decision to not run the Bookmobile will be up to Management.
- Community Stops require at least three families to utilize the stop regularly before a stop can be added to the schedule.
- Individual Home Stops require that the patron be homebound or transportation is a hardship due to medical reasons.
- Bookmobile Patrons have longer loan periods, but are still required to return library material in a timely manner.